Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sentence Variety

Simple Sentence

I like to read.

Compound Sentence

I like to read, and I also like to write.

Complex Sentence

I prefer to read books that are bestsellers.

Compound-Complex Sentence

Although I prefer to read current bestsellers, I do like to read old Agatha Christie mysteries, and I also like some 20th-century science fiction.


Combining Sentences for Impact

  • A story built entirely of simple declarative sentences will appear childish and be boring to read. 
  • Think about your audience. What will keep them interested in your story? How can you write sentences that increase interest? Every part of your story should build towards suspense. Don't ruin a good suspenseful strategy with short simple sentences. Add detail, description, and good information to keep the audience interested. 
  • Read through your story again. If you use three or four of the same type of sentence in a row, read it aloud (to yourself) to see if it flows nicely, or if the paragraph seems too choppy or too long-winded.


There are many ways to very your sentences; play with variation until you are happy with your mystery story. 


Adapted from: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/sentence-variety-examples.html

No comments:

Post a Comment